Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
Divided in two halves by the Pan-European Transport Corridor No. 10, the Zasavska Region provides the gateway to Zagreb via the junction at Zidani most where the main line to Maribor leaves Corridor No. 10.
The region is the smallest region in the country as regards both the area and the population.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Zasavska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
The regional centre is Trbovlje (16,500 inhabitants).
Generally regarded as the region where labour-intensive, smoke-stack industries have always prevailed (including mines and power plants) with a low share of farmers and high unemployment figures, the people of Zasavje are determined to reinvent it. Mining has lost the leading position it held for so long. The industrial branches that are enjoying an upward trend include:
- production of cement and glass
The service sector is becoming ever more important.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Bartec Varnost (development and production of explosion protected electrical devices)
- Dewesoft (innovative software and hardware solutions for entire business process)
- Diotec (customized solutions for semiconductor chips, packages and configuration of leads)
- ETI (manufacture of electricity distribution and control apparatus)
- Eti proplast (plastic products for electro-technical and automotive industry)
- EVJ Elektroprom (electrical installations, heating and plumbing)
- Lafarge cement (cement producer)
- Linea directa (call centre)
- Predilnica Litija (spinning mill, producing special yarns from natural and synthetic fibres and their blends)
- Rudis (engineering in the field of energetics, ecology, industry and special technologies)
- Sinet (services in the field of work safety, fire protection, security, environmental protection ...)
- Steklarna Hrastnik (technically demanding glass products)
- TKI Hrastnik (chlor alkali electrolysis products)
- Xella probeton SI (building material and thermal insulation panels)