Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
The Savinjska Region named after the Savinja River stretches along the valley that lies to the east of central Slovenia and borders on Austria to the north and Croatia to the east. Transport infrastructure is well-developed, the regional capital Celje is connected with Maribor and Ljubljana both by railway and motorway.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Savinjska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
The regional centre is Celje (49,000) with 5 institutions of higher education where nearly 1,000 students study every year.
The region has a long tradition of industry, a high concentration of businesses and is very export oriented. A number of foreign investors found in this region their right mix of qualities.
The most significant sector of industry in the Savinjska Region is the production of machines and appliances – Gorenje, one of Slovenia’s largest companies, operates in the region employing 7.4% of its workforce and creating 9% of its revenue. Other industrial sectors include:
- metal processing
- ore extraction
The region also features TECOS – the Slovenian Tool and Die Development Centre.
The Savinjska Region boasts a centuries-long tradition as a health spa thanks to its thermal springs.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- BSH hišni aparati (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- Celjske mesnine (producers of meat and meat products)
- Cetis (printing and service activities related to printing)
- Cinkarna Celje (manufacture of dyes and pigments)
- Elektro Celje (distribution of electricity)
- Frutarom Etol (flavourings and essential oils)
- GKN Driveline Slovenija (manufacture of bearings, gears, gearing and driving elements)
- Gorenje (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- Izletnik Celje (interurban and other passenger land transport)
- Jagros (retail sale in stores with predominating food and beverages)
- Mlekarne Celeia (milk processing industry)
- Novem Car Interior Design (decorative elements for vehicle interior system)
- odelo Slovenija (manufacture of parts & accessories for motor vehicles & their engines)
- Pivovarna Laško (brewing)
- SG Automotive (manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment for motor vehicles)
- SIP (manufacture of agricultural and forestry machinery)
- Steklarna Rogaška (manufacture of hollow glass)
- Štore Steel (manufacture of basic iron and steel and of ferro-alloys)
- Terme Olimia (spa resort)
- TEŠ (production of electricity in thermal power stations)
- Thermana (wellness and hotels)
- Unior (manufacture of hand tools)
- Zlatarna Celje (jewellery production)