Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
Location and transport
The Primorsko-notranjska Region lies in the southern part of Slovenia and borders on Croatia. It is conviently placed and easily reached from all principal towns such as Ljubljana, Koper, Gorica (I), Triest (I) and Rijeka (CRO).
The underground Karst world with the world famous Postojna Caves and the intermittent Cerknica Lake are the most important feature of the region.
The Primorsko-notranjska Region is the smallest Slovenian region.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Primorsko-notranjska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
The regional centre is Postojna (16,000 inhabitants) connected with the coastal town of Koper and Ljubljana by the motorway (a 20 minute drive) and railway.
The most vigorous economic growth is enjoyed by metal-processing industry that also accounts the largest market share. It is followed by the wood-processing industry and given the fact that timber is the region’s natural resource, this is a long-term factor of the economic development. The chemical industry also plays an important role in the region. Thanks to good transport connections, the share of daily migration to other regions, particularly those with high qualifications, is quite high.
There is plenty of potential for the development of tourism thanks to relatively scarce number of people per square kilometre and pristine nature. One can hardly get enough of the natural beauties and the phenomena such as lake Cerkniško jezero or Postojna Cave.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Brest-pohištvo (manufacture of furniture)
- Ebm-papst Slovenija (manufacture of electric motors, generators and transformers)
- Fluidmaster (thermoplastic products)
- GGP (logging)
- Kolektor ATP (products from thermoplastic material for the automotive industry)
- Kovinoplastika Lož (manufacture of locks and hinges)
- Lesonit (Mdf and Hdf fiberboards, laminates)
- Mineralka (non-flammable building materials)
- Pivka (chicken meat production)
- Plama-PUR (manufacture of plastic plates, sheets, tubes and profiles)
- Postojnska jama (cave park)
- Termoplasti-Plama (wrapping production from plastic mass)