Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
Lying at the north-east of Slovenia bordering on Austria and Croatia, the Podravska Region enjoys an excellent geographical position and boasts well-developed transport infrastructure (motorway connection with Graz and Ljubljana, railway, airport of Maribor).
The Podravska Region is the second largest in Slovenia.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Podravska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
With total population of 112,000 Maribor is the regional centre and the second largest city in Slovenia. The fact that it has its university attracts many young people. The University of Maribor has 17 faculties and around 15,000 students. The University provides a wide range of courses in engineering, computers science, chemistry, European languages and business. In addition, there are several independent colleges.
The economy of the Podravska Region is dominated by the service industry, which represents about 60% of the overall structure. Only 25 years ago the Podravska Region enjoyed the reputation of a strong industrial region due to long industrial tradition. The region has all the attributes required for production of sophisticated products. Most companies are in the processing industries such as:
- food & beverages
There is also water welth that is used for electricity production (the chain of hydro-electric power platns on the Drava River).
Maribor Development Agency
Pobreška cesta 20, SI-2000 Maribor
tel: +386 2 333 1300
e-mail : email@example.com
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- ADK (maufacturing of complex steel structures)
- AJM okna-vrata-senčila (PVC and ALU builders' joinery provider)
- Arriva Štajerska (interurban and other passenger land transport)
- Boxmark Leather (manufacturing and processing of leather for automotive and furniture industries)
- Dravske elektrarne Maribor (production of electricity in HE generation facilities)
- Elektro Maribor (distribution of electricity)
- Geberit (sanitary products)
- Henkel Slovenija (adhesive technologies, beauty care and laundry & home care)
- Impol (reprocessing aluminium)
- MLM (die-casting tools, aluminium die-casting parts, machined parts and forgings)
- NKBM (banking services)
- Palfinger (loader crane and other lifting solutions)
- Paloma (hygienic tissues, toilet paper, napkins, kitchen rolls ...)
- Perutnina Ptuj (meat processing industry)
- Pošta Slovenije (postal services)
- Safilo (eyewear)
- Starkom (automotive steering-mechanisms)
- Swatycomet (artificial abrasives and technical fabrics aproduction of abrasive products)
- Talum (aluminium production)
- TAM-Europe (bus and commercial vehicle manufacturer )
- TBP (bowden cables)
- Terme Maribor (hotels and similar accommodation)
- Varnost Maribor (security services)
- Zavarovalnica Maribor (insurance company)