Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
The Koroška Region lies in the northern part of Slovenia and borders on Austria.
Koroška is among the smallest regions in terms of number of inhabitants.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Koroška region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education.
The biggest municipality is Slovenj Gradec which has the most inhabitants (17,000) and is also economically the strongest, employing one third of workforce in the region. There is a Polymer Technolgy Collegue, University Collegue of Health Sciences and a college for mechanical engineering. The students from the region mostly study at the University of Ljubljana or the University of Maribor, some enrol in schools in the neighbouring Austria.
The share of the Koroška Region in the Slovenian economy is only 3%. Nevertheless, Koroška is among the most-open regions. Koroška’s economy is traditionally export-oriented. Koroška is traditionally a mining and iron & steel making region, and its restructuring has triggered a rise of unemployment. Manufacturing industries generate 44.5% of the region’s income, followed by trade and financial and business services. The region’s most important industries are:
The service sector is still poorly developed but there is lot of potential.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Akers valji Ravne (manufacture of specialty tools)
- Cablex-M (cable harnesses, plastic and silicone products, mechanical assemblies and tools)
- GEP Štalekar (printed cardboard packaging)
- Grammer Automotive Slovenija (manufacture of plastic products for automotive ind.)
- Johnson Controls Slovenj Gradec (manufacture of plastic products for automotive and wood-processing ind.)
- Metal Ravne (manufacture of basic iron, steel and ferro-alloys)
- Monter Dravograd (special purpose machines, devices and machinery installations)
- Nieros Metal (stainless steel products and technological equipment for the food, pharmaceutical, chemical and other industries)
- Noži Ravne (industrial knives for wood, metal, pulp, paper and the paper processing and recycling industries)
- Petrol energetika (supplier of oil and other energy products)
- Ravne Systems (manufacture of machinery for metallurgy)
- Relax turizem (tourist agency)
- Stroj (manufacture of complex components for mining and construction machines)
- TAB (manufacture of batteries and accumulators)
Regional Development Agency for Koroška
Meža 10, SI-2370 Dravograd
Phone: +386 59 085 190