Investment opportunities in this region
Project snapshot In 2005, the decision to build the Sports and Recreation Centre in Dobrna on the outskirts of...more
Project snapshot The construction plan for the construction of the health and wellness facilities to complement...more
Executive summary In 2005, the details of the construction plan for one part of the Health and Wellness Centre...more
Rimske Terme Executive Summary Rimske Toplice is a lovely town in the right bank of the Savinja River that...more
Concentrated Solar Power Cooling Technology (CSP) Executive summary In effort to diversify energy supply,...more
Facts and figures (2010):
Area: 2,384 km2
Density of population per km2: 109
Number of companies: 18,273
Economically active population: 104,200
Unemployment rate (2011): 12.7%
Average monthly gross wage: EUR 1,436
Source: SORS, 2012
Location and transport
The Savinjska Region named after the Savinja River stretches along the valley that lies to the east of central Slovenia and borders on Austria to the north and Croatia to the east. Transport infrastructure is well-developed, the regional capital Celje is connected with Maribor and Ljubljana both by railway and almost uninterrupted by the motorway.
The region has a total population of 260,000.
Education structure of population aged 15 - 64 in the Savinjska Region
The regional centre is Celje (48,000) with three institutions of higher education: the Faculty of Logistics (member of the University of Maribor), a polytechnics for mechanical engineering and civil engineering, and a business-commercial college where more than 1,000 students study every year.
Other principal towns include: Velenje (34,000) with its college for electrotechnics, informatics, miners and geotechnologe, Žalec (20,900), Šentjur pri Celju (18,500), Slovenske Konjice (13,900) and Laško (13,900).
The region has a long tradition of industry, a high concentration of businesses and is very export oriented. 75% of workforce has found a job in the industry. In terms of revenue and headcount, manufacturing activities prevail. The backbone of the regional economy is formed by a number of large companies that provide around 36% of all employment in the region, creating 40% of added value.
The most significant sector of industry in the Savinjska Region is the production of machines and appliances – Gorenje, one of Slovenia’s largest companies, operates in the region employing one fifth of its workforce and creating one quarter of its revenue. Other industrial sectors include:
- textile & apparel
- metal processing
- ore extraction
- coal-mining (to be closed down)
At present, the textile industry and civil engineering are struggling, and the unemployment rate is high. To make some industrial branches more successful, restructuring is urgently needed. A number of foreign investors found in this region their right mix of qualities.
The region also features TECOS – the Slovenian Tool and Die Development Centre.
The Savinjska Region boasts a centuries-long tradition as a health spa thanks to its thermal springs.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Pivovarna Laško d.d. (brewing)
- Polzela d.d.(manufacture of knitted and crocheted hosiery)
- Novem Car Interior Design d.o.o. (decorative elements for vehicle interior system)
- Radeče Papir d.o.o. (manufacture of paper and paperboard)
- Aero d.d. celje (manufacture of adhesives and coatings)
- Cetisd.d. (printing and service activities related to printing)
- Cinkarna Celje, d.d. (manufacture of dyes and pigments)
- Steklarna Rogaška d.d. (manufacture of hollow glass)
- Comet d.o.o. (production of abrasive products)
- Štore Steel d.o.o. (manufacture of basic iron and steel and of ferro-alloys)
- Unior d.d. (manufacture of hand tools)
- BSH hišni aparati d.o.o. (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- Gorenje d.d. (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- GKN Driveline Slovenija d.o.o. (manufacture of bearings, gears, gearing and driving elements)
- SIP d.d., (manufacture of agricultural and forestry machinery)
- SG Automotive d.o.o. (manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment for motor vehicles)
- Odelo Slovenija d.o.o. (manufacture of parts & accessories for motor vehicles & their engines)
- Termoelektrarna Šoštanj d.o.o. (production of electricity in thermal power stations)
- Elektro Celje d.d. (distribution of electricity)
- Vegrad d.d. (construction of residential and non-residential buildings)
- CM Celje, d.d. (construction of motorways, roads, airfields and sport facilities)
- Nivo d.d. (construction of water projects)
- Engrotuš d.d. (retail sale in stores with predominating food and beverages)
- Metro d.d. (retail sale in non-specialized stores)
- Izletnik Celje d.d. (interurban and other passenger land transport)
- Thermana d.d. (wellness and hotels)
Cesta v Trnovlje 7, SI-3000 Celje
tel: +386 (0)3 42 80 730,
fax: +386 (0)3 42 80 742,