Investment opportunities in this region
Executive Summary Bovec is located in the North West corner of Slovenia, near to both the Italian and Austrian...more
Rihemberk Castle The Ministry of Culture is seeking a developer or a funder with the ability to take over...more
Eda Center, Nova Gorica Executive summary Eda Center is a mixed use development of residential, office,...more
Facts and figures (2010):
Area: 2,325 km2
Density of population per km2: 51.2
Number of companies: 10,514
Economically active population: 46,500
Unemployment rate (2011): 10%
Average monthly gross wage: EUR 1,519
Source: SORS, 2012
Location and transport
The Goriška Region borders on the west Italian border (Friuli) and has excellent transport infrastructure. There is a motorway that links Goriška with the Northern Italy and motorway link with the central Slovenia, as well as the railway connection. It lies on the Pan-European Transport Corridor No. 5.
The Julian Alps, the Soča River and the fertile Vipava valley are the most prominent natural features of the region.
Total population of the Goriška Region is 119,000.
Education structure of population aged 15 - 64 in the Goriška Region
The regional administrative, educational, economic and cultural centre is Nova Gorica (36,200 inhabitants). Workforce is well-educated and well-trained. Nova Gorica is home to the University of Nova Gorica where students are educated in the field of environment protection, business and engineering vocations, and applied natural science. A number of students from the region enrol in the University of Ljubljana but also the nearby colleges and university centres on the Italian side of the border.
Although the region contributed less than 6% to total national GDP in 2009, in terms of GDP per capita it ranked third in the country. The region’s economic development has not been even and the mountains in the northern part have a lot to do with it. The spurs of the Alps and deep valleys favour tourism, wine- and cheese-making but Nova Gorica and the surrounding municipalities are far better developed when measured by economic and cultural yardsticks. Industry provides most jobs and remains the key to the region’s development with the following branches as the most successful:
- electrical devices & instruments
- foodstuffs & beverages
- furniture i.e. wood-processing
Thanks to its geostrategic position and particularly the proximity to the industrial towns of northern Italy, Goriška has excellent attributes to develop further the service sector that already is generating substantial revenue for the regional treasury. There have been many initiatives for joint development projects to involve small and medium-sized enterprises from both countries but the lack of funding has been the major obstacle so far and only few such ventures have lifted off the ground.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- ITW metalflex d.o.o. (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- Hidria AET d.o.o. (systems for cold start of diesel engines, electronics for ignition systems, flywheel magnetos and technical ceramics)
- Iskra avtoelektrika d.d. (manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment for motor vehicles)
- Hidria IMP klima d.o.o. (manufacture of non-domestic cooling and ventilation equipment)
- Cestno podjetje Nova Gorica d.d. (construction and maintenance of roads and motorways)
- ETA Cerkno d.o.o. (manufacture of domestic appliances)
- Varnost & intertronics d.o.o. (private security activities)
- Elektro Primorska d.d. (distribution of electricity)
- Hit d.d. (activities of casinos)
- Hidria rotomatika d.o.o. (manufacture of electric motors, generators and transformers)
- Fructal d.d. (manufacture of fruit and vegetable juice)
- Primorje d.d. (construction of roads and motorways)
- Mlinotest d.d. (manufacture of grain mill product)
- Kolektor sikom d.o.o. (manufacture of electric motors, generators and transformers)
- Afit d.o.o. (manufacture of footwear)