Facts and figures (2010):
Area: 2,137 km2
Density of population per km2: 95.1
Number of companies: 16,165
Economically active population: 70.500
Unemployment rate (2011): 8.8%
Average monthly gross wage: EUR 1,544
Source: SORS, 2012
Location and transport
Situated in the north-western part of the country, Gorenjska is the most Alpine of all Slovenian regions. A large part of the region is protected as a national park. The relief and climate are good bases for tourism.
It borders on Austria and Italy and is criss-crossed by well-developed transport infrastructure. There is not only the railway service (Pan-European Transport Corridor No. 10) but also the motorway leading north through the Karavanke Tunnel to Austria and to Ljubljana lying to the south. The distance from Kranj to the Ljubljana Airport is only 5 km.
The total population of the Gorenjska Region is 202,500.
Education structure of population aged 15 - 64 in the Gorenjska Region
The regional centre is Kranj (53,000). It is the cradle of the industrialisation in Slovenia and the local base of foreign investors such Siemens and Iskratel (Joint Venture) and the American manufacturer of car tyres Goodyear. The inhabitants of the Gorenjska Region can pursue university level studies in Kranj and Ljubljana. There is a well-developed network of technical schools covering a range of professions: mechanical engineering, information science, medicine and tourism. Kranj is also the hometown of the Faculty for Organisational Science and the Faculty of State and European Studies where almost 2,500 students study every year.
After the pace of its economic developed slowed down in early 1990s, Gorenjska has resumed its vigorous growth earning the reputation of one of Slovenia’s regions that has seen its economic results improve most over the last few years. The manufacturing activities are the driving force of the region as the shere of gross value added created by these activities is among the highest in the country. Sound performance is balanced by the growing service sector with tourism as its most vigorous segment (Bled, Kranjska Gora) followed by trade. In 2010 Gorenjska recorded 18% of tourist overnights in Slovenia, of whic 70% by foreign tourists.
Gorenjska is proud of its long industrial tradition and its strong track-record in exports when local companies had to look for new markets. Over the past few years, large investments were made to modernise production processes. Sectors such as transport and warehousing have also received fresh capital injections to help them modernise and thus become more competitive. Still there are some parts of the region, like Jesenice, lagging behind as they move slowly toward exploiting fully their development potential.
Main development potential rests on its human capital (good education structure), existing economic structure, infrastructure and a high standard of living.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Acroni d.o.o. (manufacture of basic iron and steel and of ferro-alloys)
- Aerodrom Ljubljana d.d. (service activities in air transportation)
- Alpina d.o.o. (manufacture of footwear)
- Cablex d.o.o. (products and services of cable harnesses, plastic parts and specific mechanical assemblies)
- Cestno podjetje Kranj d.d. (construction and maintenance of roads and motorways)
- Domel d.d. (manufacture of electric motors, generators and transformers)
- Elan d.o.o. (manufacture of sports goods)
- Iskra merilni instrumenti in stikala d.d. (manufacture of electricity distribution and control apparatus)
- Iskra mehanizmi d.d. (manufacture of electric domestic appliances)
- IskraEMECO d.d. (manufacture of instruments and appliances for measuring, testing and navigation)
- Iskratel d.o.o. (manufacture of TV & radio transmitters & line telephony & telegraphy)
- Jelovica d.d. (manufacture of builders' carpentry and joinery)
- Knauf Insulation d.o.o. (manufacture of non-metallic mineral products n.e.c.)
- Merkur d.d. (wholesale of hardware, plumbing and heating equipment and supplies)
- Lip Bled d.o.o. (manufacture of builders' carpentry and joinery)
- Lth castings d.o.o. (casting of light metals)
- Peko d.d. (manufacture of footwear)
- Gozdno gospodarstvo Bled d.o.o. (logging)
- Sava hoteli Bled d.d. (hotels and similar accommodation)
- Sava Tires d.o.o. (manufacture of rubber tyres and tubes; retreading and rebuilding of rubber tyres)
- Savatech d.o.o. (manufacture of rubber tyres and tubes; retreading and rebuilding of rubber tyres)
- Sportina d.o.o. (retail sale of clothing in specialized stores)
- Veyance Technologies Europe d.o.o. (manufacture of rubber products)
Regional Development Agency
Cesta Staneta Žagarja 37, SI-4000 Kranj
tel: +386 (0)4 28 17 430
fax: +386 (0)4 28 17 449