The new Divača-Koper railway
Location of the project
The new planned line Divača - Koper is part of the railway axis Lyon - Milan - Venice - Trieste - Divača/Koper - Divača - Ljubljana - Budapest - Ukrainian border, which is designated as priority project No 6 as part of the TEN-T European network.
The existing Divača-Koper route is part of the V Trans-European railway corridor and is still a single-track rail, which has a significantly limiting impact on its capacity. This leads to traffic problems in the corridor and, in particular, it is an obstacle to the development of the Port of Koper, which is important not only for the Slovenian economy but also for the economies of our neighboring countries (Austria, Hungary), Central and Eastern Europe (Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland) and the former Soviet Union (particularly Ukraine). The construction of the II track along the existing route is not acceptable due to the out-dated elements of this route.
The construction of a single-track and electrified railway will mostly take place in tunnels, the proportion of which is nearly 75%, and over viaducts, the proportion of which amounts to almost 4%.
Current project status
- The preparation of amendments to the national spatial plan, including minor changes to the enlargement of the NSP owing to the construction of access roads and landfill for continuous surplus of material, is currently in its final stages.
- The project documentation for the Koper-Črni Kal section is now completed and the construction license for this section is expected to be obtained in the first half of this year. The project documentation for the second Črni Kal-Divača section is also in the final stage of preparation.
- The expeditious acquisition of land is in process.
- Some preparatory work is already in progress.
Timetable of project implementation
Implementation of the project is planned for the period 2011 – 2018.
Financial value and timing of the project
The estimated project value is around EUR 900 million. Under the current timetable, construction will commence in 2011 and it is estimated to be concluded in 2017.
The investment value of the project includes the costs of: construction work, equipment, water management arrangements and land reclamations, landscape architecture, costs of supply of construction sites with energy and water.
Costs of construction include the costs of: superstructure, substructure, line tunnels, facilities, deviations of track of the existing line and road deviations, line equipment, construction of a lay-by, establishment of depots and noise barriers.
Costs of equipment include the costs of: catenaries and construction of one sub-station, fitting of signaling safety and telecommunication systems and mechanical services, devices and safety systems in tunnels.
Similarly, the investment value of the project includes the cost of project management, drafting of the still required documentation, costs of geomechanical research and cost of supervision of construction.
Calculation of indicators of economic justifiability
Calculated economic indicators of project justifiability are: internal project profitability – IPPf, net current value of project – NCVf, relative net current value - RNCVf and quotient of relative utility K/S, which at 7% discount rate equal:
- Internal profitability - IPPf = 8.31 %
- Net current value- NCVf = 88.78 million EURO
- Relative net current value - RNCVf = 0.232
- Quotient of relative benefit - K/Sf = 1.232
Ministry of Transport
Langusova ul. 4, SI-1535 Ljubljana
Phone: +386 (0)1 478 83 21
Fax:: +386 (0)1 478 81 41