Municipalities may offer different forms of incentives, which are negotiated on a case-by-case basis. These incentives may include easy access to industrial sites, utility connections and holidays from local taxes.
Development Support to the Pomurje Region
Slovenian Government promulgated on 1 January 2010 the Act on Development Support to the Pomurje Region in the Period 2010-2015 designed to encourage businesses to locate and expand in Pomurje. The measures in place until 2015 include:
- The Government-backed program designed to give sharpen the competitive edge of the Pomurje region: grants are available for the business environment improvement and capital investments;
- On the jobs front: tax incentives and refunds of social and health insurance contributions paid by employers;
- Fiscal incentives for investment: pre-tax profit can be reduced by 70% of the capital expenditure for investment making the tax charge proportionally lower;
- Priority treatment of the investment projects to be located in Pomurje when bidding for financing from the national development funds and the EU Cohesion Fund;
- Institutional support provided by the Government Office for Local Government and Regional Policy in Pomurje.
Development Support to the Bela Krajina Subregion
Bela Krajina is a part of Jugovzhodna Slovenia region. For the subregion a government programme of encouraging competitiveness and development aid measures in the period 2011–2016 was implemented (i. e. Pokolpje programme):
- Measure 1 – a 2011–2016 competitiveness promotion programme in Pokolpje region worth EUR 20,000,000: the most important objective for companies are public tenders for encouraging initial investments and creation of jobs;
- Measure 2 – reimbursement of social security contributions;
- Measure 3 – tax reliefs for hiring and investing: a taxable person may claim a reduction of the tax basis by 70 % of the employee’s costs or 70 % of the amount invested in new initial investments;
- Measure 4 – incentives for sustainable rural development from the Rural Development Programme;
- Measure 5 - guarantees with interest rate subsidies for investment loans to companies in the Pokolpje region under regional guarantee schemes for Southeastern Slovenia
In addition to these measures, Bela Krajina subregion is the priority area of development policies in the period 2011–2016.
The Employment Service of Slovenia carries out a series of measures for encouraging employment through which it advises and finally supports employers that employ new workers.
Employers who intend to hire unemployed persons may apply for free training and retraining provided by local employment offices throughout Slovenia.